Saturday, August 29, 2009

1st assignment. This is just the beginning.

So for the first assignment, we have two fliers to redesign: one about the MO Hall Art Gala and one about Ancient Greek. My idea for the art gala flyer came pretty quickly. I don't know what you'd call the concept, but it's definitely got a feel to it. Big, bold print that's in your face. Kind of reminiscent of the new gatorade identity in style. Meant to be edgy, big, bold. Reminds me of Lady Gaga. This will include paint splatters, sort of like a rebellious art gala :) It kind of goes with the 80's glam fashion trend going on right now (a little)

The old poster didn't have any sass, and that's what I wanted to change. It's about fabulousness and fame, and it's made to catch attention. Sort of making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

The second poster was boring, just a line that said Study Ancient Greek. Followed by some stuff. It's simplistic and to the point, granted, but it's not very entertaining. So I decided to make Ancient Greek cool (as cool as I could manage) and made an illustration reminiscent of greek god illustrations, with the thick lines and curly noodle hair. What makes my greek dude awesome is his sunglasses, suggesting that ancient greek is probably the coolest thing on the planet. I had to draw him on a little pedestal so no one would confuse him with a badass rockstar, even though that's how people will feel after they look at this poster. I put him on a diagonal to mix things up a bit, to give it a more interesting and playful feel. I made up a catchy phrase to echo the awesomeness of my greek rockstar: Ancient Greek, So Chic. The idea is for it to amuse AND appeal to college students by making it more interesting than a bunch of old dudes with hard-to-pronounce names.

I'll play around with the paper a little bit. For the art gala one, I really think it would look great printed on neon, because that's the kind of feel that it gives off. I also am experimenting with painting some paper first with bright colors, and I'll give it a try on white as well. For the greek poster, I'm not as sure what to do. I'll play around with papers and see what's out there, but it may just end up on white. We'll see. So far, I'm still alive. I'm not going to assume anything further.

No comments:

Post a Comment